The Southern Crossing

      
Sailing into Banderas Bay with a fresh breeze
    

    The southern crossing is a crossing from Baja to mainland Mexico in the Pacific Ocean.  It is almost 300 nautical miles (nm).  It took us 2 nights and 3 days, but it felt longer.  We had really good wind the whole time; and it was fun not to see land.  At first you can see land; then you can't really see land. Finally, you can't see land at all, then land comes back into sight.  I totally recommend crossing.  The water was the bluest blue I have ever seen.  Because it is the open ocean. 
First sight of land

Beautiful sunrises 

     We almost had to turn back. Now I don't really now why so ask my mom or dad.  But I think we had a leaking engine fitting.  They put a tin cup on a string under it to see how much was leaking.  I woke to dad calling some friends to tell them we may have to turn back.  Lucky for us we didn't  have to turn back.

    To keep you sane on the crossing here are some ideas:  read that book you abandoned, make that dish you just got the recipe for, learn a new knot,  analyze the weather for the days to come.  Those were just some random ideas.  Here is what we did.  I read, colored, and slept. Mom cooked, drew, and drove. Dad for most part checked the weather, helped on deck, and kept everybody laughing.  The crossing felt like an accomplishment !!!!!!

Read and Read
Helping mom with morning watch
Dad relaxing
Litha our "buddy boat"

Milou doing what she does best!

Jib sailing


                                     Sail into my next blog.⛵⛵

Comments

  1. So cool Ellie! Love your posts keep 'em coming. Glad you didn't have to turn back. Good thing you have such good captains on that boat. Sure looks like more fun than herding goats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. It sure is more fun then herding goats!

      Delete
    2. OMG, Ellie that looks so cool. your so lucky. I wish I could do that.

      Love your friend, Livia DeMelo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I love about Mexico

What the heck is S/V Milou?